Thursday, February 26, 2009

One-Thousand Faces

I saw 1000 faces when I closed my eyes last night
1000 faces I have known
Most of them have long been left behind
Some of them remind me of home

And I wondered where they all came from before we crossed paths
And I wonder where they have gone
And I wonder where I'll be heading when tomorrow comes
And I wonder how long this life will go on

Lately this body has been feeling a little strange
Lately it's been bending under stress
Lately I've been thinking how I should change
And all the things I've done under duress

Well, I just need to rest a little while
Just need to try to catch my breath
When the miseries of life start closing in on you
You need to rise above all of it

Well, I learned how to smile when I got bad news
Learned how to keep a poker face
Learned how to make the best of everything
Learned dignity and how to take setbacks with grace

I learned how to salvage just enough to go on
Pick up the pieces I need
But the voices outside my window are closing in
Don't want to navigate by greed

Well, I sat in my room as the sun went down
To quietly recharge my batteries
You can eventually succeed in this elusive life
If you're not willing to accept failure easily

Well, I walked by 1000 faces today
Tomorrow I will see 1000 more
And they'll whisk me off to sleep when I get home at night
One thousand faces waiting by my door

No comments:

Post a Comment