Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Walrus Was Dead

It was Monday night
I was 16-years-old
Listened to Pepper and Abbey Road
Caught a glimpse of the game
And fell off to sleep
To the sound of the FM beat

Awoke around 2 a.m.
Or maybe it was 3
Didn't believe the news coming at me
Reporting from New York City
John's blood on the street
I thought it was a Python parody

But oh no, no 
He had to go

I heard the pain in his voice
Heard the screams in my head
Didn't want to believe that John Lennon was dead
He influenced my life
Although we never met
I guess what we give out we eventually get

Oh no
He had to go

The soul is eternal
But the body must die
But still when he leaves us
We can't help but cry

I want you to listen
Its not going to last
The present we're in
Is becoming the past

It was the end of an era
The end of a dream
Yet another clue
It comes apart at the seams

It's been 29 years
Can't get it out of my head
The day that they told me
The walrus was dead

2 comments:

  1. I remember that day well, Gargs. I was in my first year as a teacher, and wanted to address the event with my class. I wrote

    You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

    on the board and we talked about it, but it was just a tiny gesture, considering everything that Lennon had contributed.

    ReplyDelete