Sunday, August 29, 2010

Mom's Reflection

You show me

Who I sometimes think I am

But I don't want to see

Don't want to believe this scam


But I do see

My mother in me

But who am I?

And is/was she?


And where is she?

If I look into you

Will you show me where she's dawned?

Where she’s gone to?

Put your twin behind me

Will I see on and on into infinity?


Is she looking after me through you

From some other world?

Are you a glass-eyed portal?

Or is my head in a whirl?

I was a little boy

She was once a little girl

It's been more than 30 years

Since that changing form disappeared

If I stare into you long enough

Will I find her here?


The mom in me

The me in mom

Tell me who's been good and bad?

Who's coming over

and who’s long gone?

Tell me who is happy and sad

Tell me where are you going to Dad?

Eighty-six years towards your body's demise

As your memories fade

Into those glassy eyes

Trying to grasp those bygone days

Old age is not the prize

Nor is it in that can of beer

You, hanging on the wall


Rotund face

And never lying

Will you be all I have

To remind me how

Everything that deludes me

Is slowly dying?

No comments:

Post a Comment